Constantine city in Algeria – Arabic Cities

Constantine Arabic city

Constantine

Constantine is an Algerian city and Arabic city located in eastern Algeria.
It is famous as the city of suspension bridges, and the reason for its name is the large number of bridges that connect its sides,

The city of Constantine includes more than eight bridges, some of which were destroyed, and others remained. The city was built on a rock of hard lime, making it look very beautiful. The population of the city reached 448,374 people.

Constantine’s history among Arabic cities

Constantine was established by the Phoenician traders, and was later developed by the Romans, and was known in the past as “Cirta”, and the Carthaginians called it “Sarim Patim”, and it flourished during the reign of the Numidian King Masinissa, King of Numidia when he took it as the capital of his kingdom. The city was subjected to the siege of Yugurtha, which lasted for five months, after which he managed to seize the city. Then the Romans took control of it again, so Emperor Maxinas ordered its destruction, and then it was rebuilt in the era of Constantine.

When the Muslims entered North Africa, Constantine enjoyed a kind of freedom and independence, and when Andalusia fell, the Andalusians resided in the city, and in the era of the Pashas, ​​Constantine was chosen as the capital of the Beylik of the East, and when French-occupied Algeria, Beylik refused the city to recognize the authority of the French over Algeria, he led two campaigns through which he was able to respond to the French from seizing the city, which was a gateway to the East, and in 1837 the French were able to control the city as a result of the betrayal of one of the city’s Jewish residents.

Constantine Landmarks

  • Mosque Souk El Ghezal
  • Prince Abdel Kader Mosque
  • Mellah Sliman Bridge
  • Regional Theater of Constantine
  • Ahmed Bey Palace