Port said location
Port Said Egypt is an important hub for maritime trade, industry, and tourism. It has a rich cultural heritage, with landmarks such as the Port Said Lighthouse and the Port Said National Museum.
Port Said Egypt is located in northeastern Egypt, at the northern entrance of the Suez Canal. It is on the Mediterranean coast and shares borders with the Port Fuad district to the east and the Port Said Governorate to the west. Besides, it is around 220 kilometres (137 miles) northeast of Cairo, the capital of Egypt.
Port said Egypt map
Port said history
Historically, it has played a significant role in Egypt’s trade and economy due to its strategic location on the Mediterranean Sea.
The governorate’s capital is Port Said, Here’s a brief overview of the history of Port Said Governorate:
- Port Said was established in 1859 during the construction of the Suez Canal. The city was founded by the French engineer Ferdinand de Lesseps, who spearheaded the canal project. Besides, it served as a vital port for international trade and played a significant role in connecting the Mediterranean Sea to the Red Sea.
- In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Port Said witnessed rapid growth and development. In addition, the city became a melting pot of different cultures, attracting people from various backgrounds and nationalities due to its economic opportunities and cosmopolitan atmosphere. It has a vibrant markets, bustling harbour, and also diverse population.
- Port Said was also the site of a major international conflict which is the Suez Crisis in 1956. The crisis began when Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser nationalized the Suez Canal, leading to military intervention by Israel, France, and the United Kingdom. In addition, Port Said, along with other cities along the canal, was heavily bombed and experienced significant destruction during the conflict.
- After that, Port Said and the surrounding region focused on rebuilding and also revitalizing their economy. The governorate’s economy relies heavily on the Suez Canal. As it continues to be a crucial international trade route. In recent years, there have been efforts to further develop the area, including the establishment of industrial zones and also the expansion of port facilities.
Port said Egypt population
According to the statistics in 2021, the population of Port Said is about 780,824 people.
Things to do in port said Egypt
If you’re visiting Port Said, Egypt, there are several activities and attractions that you can explore. Here are some things to do in Port Said:
1- Visit the Port Said Lighthouse
One of the iconic landmarks of the city, the Port Said Lighthouse offers panoramic views of the surrounding area. You can climb to the top and enjoy breathtaking vistas of the Mediterranean Sea and the cityscape.
2- Explore the Port Said National Museum
Discover the rich history and also culture of the region at the Port Said National Museum. The museum showcases exhibit that highlight the city’s maritime heritage, the construction of the Suez Canal, and artifacts from ancient Egyptian civilizations.
3- Wander along the Corniche in Port Said, Egypt
Take a stroll along the picturesque Corniche, a waterfront promenade that stretches along the Mediterranean coast. Enjoy the views, relax in the parks, and savour the local street food while experiencing the vibrant atmosphere of the city.
4- Visit the Military Museum of Port Said, Egypt
Located in Port Fouad, the neighbouring district, the Military Museum showcases the history of the Egyptian military. Moreover, explore the exhibits displaying weaponry, and military vehicles, and learn about significant battles and events.
5- Explore the Suez Canal in Port Said, Egypt
Take a boat tour or a cruise along the Suez Canal to witness the bustling waterway that connects the Mediterranean and also the Red Seas. You can observe ships from around the world passing through the canal, which is a fascinating experience.
6- Enjoy the Beaches of Port Said, Egypt
Port Said has several beautiful beaches where you can relax and soak up the sun. The most popular beach is Al-Manakh Beach, offering soft sand, clear waters, and a pleasant ambience.
7- Try Local Cuisine in Port Said, Egypt
Indulge in the local culinary delights of Port Said. Sample fresh seafood dishes, especially the famous local speciality, fried fish. There are numerous seafood restaurants and street vendors where you can savour the flavours of the region.
8- Explore the Old City of Port Said, Egypt
Wander through the narrow streets of the Old City of Port Said to experience its unique charm. Discover historical buildings, and traditional markets, and get a glimpse into the local way of life.
Hotels in port said Egypt
There are many hotels in Port Said that have the best natural view such as:
- Sonesta hotel port said Egypt
- Helnan Port Said Hotel
- Resta Port Said Hotel
- Port Said Hotel & Apartments
- Maritime Port Said Hotel
- Port Said Princess Hotel
- Al Salam Hotel
In conclusion, the city’s strategic location at the mouth of the Suez Canal has made it an important international trade and transportation hub. In addition, the canal connects the Mediterranean Sea to the Red Sea, providing a crucial shortcut for ships travelling between Europe and Asia, bypassing the need to sail around the African continent.
Port Said’s proximity to the Suez Canal has played a significant role in its history, economy, and cultural diversity. The city has developed as a major port and industrial centre, facilitating trade and maritime activities.
It takes you about 3 hours and 55 min from Cairo to Portsaid, and the train is the fastest way.
The Arabic language is the main language in Egypt, however, they have a different accent from the people of Cairo governorate.
Port Said is one of the most vibrant cities that had witnessed many historical events, besides its nature overlooking the Sues Canal.