Acre (Akka) is one of the Arabic Cities
Acre is one of the oldest ancient Palestinian cities and one of the Arabic Cities, famous for its strong forts, port, and rich history with many civilizations built on its land.
The name Acre has been used for thousands of years and was the first to be used by the ancient Egyptians in the second century BC, and the name goes back to ancient legends saying that the city was called (Akko), from which the name Acre came. In recent history, Acre was subjected to the Israeli occupation in the Nakba in 1948 AD, and today it is classified among the so-called lands of 1948 AD, which are the Palestinian lands that are under Israeli control.
Before the Nakba, the majority of Acre’s residents were Arabs along with a small group of Jews, but after 1948 the number of Arabs declined dramatically due to the forced displacement from their lands and the settlement of Jews there. Today, they constitute only 35% of the city’s population, according to 2010 statistics. The city has a population of 46 thousand people.
The city of Acre is distinguished by the diversity of religions it contains; There are 4 religions in the city, which are Islam, Christianity, Judaism, and Baha’i.
Due to the long history of the city of Acre as an Arabic city, the city contains many immortal monuments dating back to different civilizations and eras, which still exist today. Because of the city’s historical importance, the city was included on the UNESCO World Heritage and Antiquities List in 2001. Among the most prominent landmarks that Acre contains are the following:
One of the most famous castles in the world and one of Acre’s most famous landmarks. The castle was built in the twelfth century AD over the ruins of the Crusader castle.
In the castle is the famous Acre prison; Where prisoners were imprisoned and executed
It is a 350-meter tunnel in the Templar castle built by the Crusader temple guards in Acre. It extends from the castle to the city’s port and was used as a hidden underground strategic passage. The tunnel was discovered in 1994.
It was built by Ahmed Pasha Al-Jazzar at the end of the 18th century AD. It was called the New Hamam, then the Hamam al-Basha. The construction of the bath came as part of al-Jazzar’s efforts to develop the city during the Ottoman period. The Hamam consists of three main parts, along with several rooms.
One of the most essential ports in Palestine, and one of the oldest historical ports in the world, it played an essential role in many events throughout history. Today, it has turned into a tourist port that receives visitors.